Monday, October 12, 2009

What Have I Done for Someone Today?


by President Thomas S. Monson
October 2009 General Conference
click herehttp://lds.org/conference/talk/display/0,5232,23-1-1117-27,00.htmlto view the entire talk

Recall with me the familiar words of King Benjamin in the Book of Mormon: “When ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God.”

Isn't it great that we can serve the Lord who has done so much for us?

The Savior taught His disciples, “For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it.”
 
In the October 1963 general conference, President David O. McKay made this statement: “Man’s greatest happiness comes from losing himself for the good of others.”
 
It's easier to be more positive and happy when we're thinking of others rather than focusing our own problems.
 
I am confident it is the intention of each member of the Church to serve and to help those in need. At baptism we covenanted to “bear one another’s burdens, that they may be light.” How many times has your heart been touched as you have witnessed the need of another? How often have you intended to be the one to help? And yet how often has day-to-day living interfered and you’ve left it for others to help, feeling that “oh, surely someone will take care of that need.”
 
We become so caught up in the busyness of our lives. Were we to step back, however, and take a good look at what we’re doing, we may find that we... spend most of our time taking care of the things which do not really matter much at all in the grand scheme of things, neglecting those more important causes.

Is having a clean house, etc. more important than helping someone with their burden?

My brothers and sisters, we are surrounded by those in need of our attention, our encouragement, our support, our comfort, our kindness—be they family members, friends, acquaintances, or strangers. We are the Lord’s hands here upon the earth, with the mandate to serve and to lift His children. He is dependent upon each of us.


There's so many ways we can serve.  It doesn't need to be a huge project.  It can be as simple as saying hello, calling or emailing someone to let them know you're thinking of them, serving in the temple, donating to the food pantry or taking care of a child.

The words from the 25th chapter of Matthew come to mind:

“Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
“For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
“Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
“Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
“When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
“Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
“And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.”


My brothers and sisters, may we ask ourselves the question “What have I done for someone today?” May the words of a familiar hymn penetrate our very souls and find lodgment in our hearts:


Have I done any good in the world today?
Have I helped anyone in need?
Have I cheered up the sad and made someone feel glad?
If not, I have failed indeed.
Has anyone’s burden been lighter today
Because I was willing to share?
Have the sick and the weary been helped on their way?
When they needed my help was I there?

 
That service to which all of us have been called is the service of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Join with me in daily service to our fellowmen and ultimately to our Savior & Heavenly Father. I'd love to know what you are doing to serve, please leave a comment and share your experiences.






No comments:

Post a Comment